Friday, October 08, 2010

Sandy's Tie Purse


At the October Meeting, Sandy will demonstrate how to make a purse from a man's tie. If you want to sew along, bring the following :

Supplies:
1 wide necktie about 54 inches long. Small over-all design or solid tie works best. Stripes or large patterns cannot be matched easily. Directional patterns are also difficult to match, such as galloping horses, sailboats or golf bags.

1/4 yard of lining fabric
1/4 yard of muslin for interlining
1 1/4 yard of braid for strap
12 inches of 3/8" wide elastic

I will bring a template and you will need to cut 2 muslin pieces and 2 lining pieces. So bring a fabric scissors, rotary cutter, small cutting board.

Sewing machine and matching thread if you want to sew.

It takes a couple of hours to make one. I will demonstrate it and bring written directions. If you don't want to bring your sewing machine, I will show the steps/stages necessary.

**************************************************************
Edited after the fact :  This has been one of the most popular posts on this blog.  I get regular requests for the pattern.  Please don't ask : I don't have a pattern to share.  Someone else lead this session and  I just posted her words to the blog.  I don't have a pattern to send you.  And I'm no longer in touch with the person who led the session, either.  Sorry, I can't be of more help on this.  I'm sure if you play with it a bit, you can figure out your own patterns.  Be adventurous!   ;-)
-- Michele, CinC Blogger

1 comment:

mabel_doll said...

I would love to make one of these little purses! Do you have any instructions or rough pattern you could share? I would appreciate it so much! Thank you!